Getting involved as a tenant
We believe that it is only by working together with tenants that we can provide the best possible housing service. We want to develop an active partnership with our tenants and we think it is important for our tenants to be well informed and have the opportunity to join in with any consultations that we run.
Ipswich Borough Council has laid out its promises to its tenants in the Local Standards: The Offer publication. This covers all areas of the housing service and has this to say on what we will do to involve you:
- Ensure membership of all tenant groups will be open to all Ipswich Borough Council tenants;
- Establish flexible ways of becoming involved in order to provide a choice of the level of involvement appropriate for each individual tenant;
- Offer training and support to those tenants who would like to get involved;
- Keep you informed on Housing Services matters through Tenants' Times and our website;
- Respond to your feedback and suggestions;
- Continue to support recognised tenant and residents groups;
- Provide support for an independent Tenant Scrutiny Panel.
As well as the training and support to tenant representatives we can also fund travel expenses, childcare and car-parking costs for tenants attending participation events.
There are lots of different ways as a tenant that you can get involved and have your say:
- Join your local Area Housing Panel;
- Become a Tenant Inspector or Mystery Shopper and help check on housing services;
- Help feedback on tenant opinion in consultations by email, post or phone;
- Write an article about issues or events affecting tenants for the Tenants' Times or join the editorial panel;
- Join your local Resident Association or even start one!
There are already a number of tenants who are active in working with us. You can find out who they are on the Tenant Representatives page.
To find out more please choose from the pages below.