Keeping Ipswich's Workplaces Healthy and Safe
Ipswich Occupational Health and Safety
Ipswich Borough Council has a legal duty to enforce the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and related legislation.
The Ipswich Occupational Health and Safety team is responsible for ensuring that work premises in the borough are safe for employees and visitors and that accidents are prevented wherever possible.
The main duties involve:
- inspecting places of work to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities;
- using educational techniques, as well as legal means, to achieve compliance;
- investigating accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces;
- investigating complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises;
- licensing particular premises such as skin piercing or sex shops;
- advising other council departments about health and safety at events that require Public Entertainment Licences, or at cinemas or theatres;
- working with planning and building control officers to advise on the health and safety implications of new developments;
- giving advice to customers and stakeholders on health and safety issues;
- working with other health professionals in Suffolk and across the country.
Help and advice
The following advice sheets outline key issues relating to Health and Safety at work:
- Advice Sheet 01 - Health and Safety Policy;
- Advice Sheet 02 - Management Responsibilities;
- Advice Sheet 03 - Risk Assessments;
- Advice Sheet 04 - Accident Reporting and First Aid;
- Advice Sheet 05 - Display Screen Equipment;
- Advice Sheet 06 - COSHH Assessment;
- Advice Sheet 07 - Manual Handling;
- Advice Sheet 08 - Musculoskeletal Disorders;
- Advice Sheet 09 - Equipment for Use at Work;
- Advice Sheet 10 - The Workplace Regulations;
- Advice Sheet 11 - Stress at Work;
- Advice Sheet 12 - Dermatitis;
- Advice Sheet 13 - Lifting Equipment;
- Advice Sheet 14 - Sunday Trading Information Sheet;
- Advice Sheet 15 - Asbestos Management Pack for Non-Domestic Premises.
- Speak to a Customer Services Advisor at the Customer Services Centre at the Town Hall;
- Contact us using the details on the right hand side of this page.
Making a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace
If you wish to make a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace, please have the full details ready when you contact us.
If you make a complaint about a workplace, we will need to take your name and contact details in order that we can keep you informed of the progress of the complaint.
Some workplaces in Ipswich are the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive rather than Ipswich Borough Council. This is according to the nature of the work carried out. In these cases, we can advise you of the relevant 'enforcing authority' for health and safety purposes.
Ipswich Borough Council has signed up to the Cabinet Office Enforcement Concordat which commits us to good enforcement practices. We also have an Enforcement Policy in place for Environmental Services which is available upon request.
Contact the team
If you have any questions or comments for the team please get in touch. You can:
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from our team, please contact the Commercial Services Manager:
Tel: 01473 433019
Last Updated: Tuesday 3rd December 2013