Change of Circumstances
What do you need to report?
We need to know as soon as possible about any changes in your circumstances. For example:
- If you move home;
- If someone moves in or out;
- If your income changes;
- If your rent changes;
- If you qualify for another benefit;
- If you stop getting Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance;
- If anyone living in your home has a change of circumstances.
Please note, this is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us something or not, please ask. It is important that we know any changes immediately as any delay in telling us could seriously affect the amount of help you receive:
- Changes that could reduce your housing benefit/council tax reduction:
If you delay or fail to tell us about a change, you will have to repay any money you received that you were not entitled to.
- Changes that could increase your housing benefit/council tax reduction:
Any change that may mean you can get an increase in entitlement will usually only start from the date that you tell us, and not the date the change actually happened.
What to send us
The law says that you must tell us about any change of circumstance immediately. We also need the changes in writing, a phone call is not enough.
You should complete all the questions on the Change of Circumstances form and provide proof of any changes, such as:
- A letter from your landlord telling you of a change in your rent or a new tenancy agreement;
- Your latest payslips or pension slips to show the new amount you get as wages, pension or pension credit;
- A letter from the Department of Works and Pensions or HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) showing changes in your allowances or tax credits;
- A letter from the Department for Works and Pensions showing changes in your benefits;
We will also need the same sort of proof of changes for other people who live with you.
If you cannot provide proof immediately you should report the change/s and any documents you do have now, and then send any other documents as soon as you can.
Provide your information and evidence to us, either:
- By hand to the Customer Service Centre; or,
- By post to:
Benefits - Change of Circumstances
15-17 Russell Road
It is important that you send us original documents, not copies. You can either deliver the documents and form by hand, or send them to us by post. We will photocopy the documents and return any originals to you.
Last Updated: Wednesday 27th March 2013
You can also call in and speak to an advisor at the Customer Services Centre in the Town Hall.
Tel: 01473 432700
Email: Send us an email