Fairtrade in Ipswich
Council Fairtrade Motion
Below is an excerpt from the minutes taken at the Full Council meeting on 30th March 2005 showing the Fairtrade motion.
87. Fairtrade Town Status
It was RESOLVED by Councillor A G Martin, seconded by Councillor Le Grys, that:
The Council will ask Executive to obtain Fairtrade Town status for the Borough of Ipswich over the coming year, with the aim of declaring that status during Fairtrade Fortnight in March 2006, and to that end will ask Executive to ensure that Ipswich Borough Council will:
- Use Fairtrade tea, coffee and other goods where applicable for all its internal catering;
- Encourage the use of Fairtrade products in Ipswich;
- Set up a steering committee with representation from Councillors and from interested organisations in the community of Ipswich in order to progress the achieving of Fairtrade Town status;
- Commit itself to promoting Fairtrade in its publications and on its website;
- Co-operate with schools, churches and other organisations in educating the people of Ipswich about the principles of Fairtrade;
- Organise publicity, and events if possible, during Fairtrade Fortnight.
Last Updated: Friday 7th August 2009