Christmas collections: Black bins will be collected as normal commencing Tuesday 2nd January.
Around 30,000 tonnes of waste is collected every year from the black bins in Ipswich. That’s an average of 500 kgs (half a tonne) of waste from each home in Ipswich. Some of that waste could have been recycled or composted.
To help minimise the amount of waste you put in your black bin, please check what can go in your blue bin and your brown bin and make sure that you recycle as much as you can.
Remember, wherever you can, please Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
Black bins come in two sizes: small (140 litres) or medium (180 litres). Let us know if you would like to change the size of your bin.
Your black bin is emptied once a fortnight on your normal collection week. You can use our online tool to find out when the bins will next be emptied in your street:
Please help us by making sure that you put your bin out for collection at the right time and in the right place. Find out more on our Where to put your bin page.
Please do not:
- put your bin out with the lid wedged open - this can cause serious accidents and it creates a health and safety hazard with the vehicle lifting machinery;
- put any heavy objects in your bin - these can cause the bin to fall off the lifting frame at the rear of the vehicle which can cause accidents;
- overfill your bin – this makes it difficult to handle and could cause injury;
- leave extra bags beside your bin - these will not be collected.
Find out more about your waste collection by downloading the guidance document below:
What to put in your black bin
Your black bin is for any waste that cannot be either recycled or composted.
- Cooked food
- Meat, fish and bones
- Shredded paper (if you do not have a brown bin to put it in)
- Egg shells
- Egg boxes
- Plastic film such as cellophane and plastic bags (these can also be recycled at your Household Waste Recycling Centre)
- Nappies and sanitary items
- Porcelain and ceramics
- Crisp packets and sweet wrappers
- Tiles and general DIY waste
- Electrical items (can be taken to your local WEEE bank)
- Plastic/Metal coat hangers
Would you like to be able to reduce your waste in the black bin? Do you recycle everything you can but would still like to do more? Then why not try the Rubbish Diet? Set your own targets and see how easy it is, you might even save yourself some money!