Ipswich BC logo


Data Protection Act 1998

You are here

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to see any data we hold on you (with a few exceptions) and to have it corrected if it is not accurate.

It gives us the responsibility of handling your data securely and ensures that we do not disclose it to other people or organisations without meeting legal conditions that protect your privacy. For example, in some circumstances we may need to ask your permission first.

We collect and hold certain personal data so we can provide you with the services you require. For example, we process data to:

  • Collect Council Tax;
  • Collect rent;
  • Deliver housing benefit;
  • Provide a record of the services provided.

Accessing the information we hold

You can access the information we hold about you by making a Subject Access Request.  This request can be made in writing, by email or using the Subject Access Request application form.  Please provide as much detail as possible about the information you require, mark your request Subject Access Requests, and send it to the address provided.

There is a flat rate fee of £10 for subject access requests, determined by the Data Protection Act.  You do not have to send the payment with your request but if you do not your request may be delayed while we contact you for payment.

The fee can be paid by sending a cheque or postal order made payable to 'Ipswich Borough Council'. Alternatively, you can make a credit or debit card payment by telephoning 01473 433784, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm (please note, if you use a credit card to pay, a surcharge of 1.5% will be made reflecting the bank's charge to the Council for accepting credit card payments).

If you are requesting to view CCTV footage, please visit Making a request to view CCTV.

Proof of Identity

To help establish your identity your application must be accompanied by TWO official documents that between them clearly show your name, date of birth and current address.

Acceptable forms of ID are:

  • a photocopy of your passport or driving licence
  • an electricity bill (the original bill, not a copy)*
  • a gas bill (the original bill, not a copy)*
  • a council tax bill (the original bill, not a copy)*
  • any other bill in your full name (the original bill, not a copy)*

*Any bill you send must be less than 6 months old.

Correcting data we hold

If you believe the data we hold about you is incorrect or that there is information that we have not supplied, you must contact us within 21 days of receiving our response to your request.

If we don't agree that the information is incorrect, you can appeal using the Council's normal complaints procedure.

You can also appeal to the Information Commissioner's Office if we do not correct the data you ask us to.

Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
FOI Requests,
c/o Democratic and Business Support
Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432514