As part of Ipswich Borough Council’s preparations for the expected extreme heat next week, we’re asking residents whose recycling or garden waste bins are due to be collected on Tuesday 19 July to ensure their bins are put out the night before. Collections will start at 5am that day so that our Refuse and Recycling team can avoid working in the hottest hours of the day.
We hope residents will understand the need for this and apologise if we wake anyone up by emptying their bin!
Other preparations being made are:
- Deploying all our Customer Service staff to our phonelines to deal with any increase in demand; this means that the face to face provision at the Town Hall will be closed on Tuesday
- Our Council Housing Maintenance teams will carry out essential repairs where it is safe to do so but other repairs may be rescheduled, e.g. those that involve confined spaces
- Monitoring conditions in our swimming pools
We will issue an update if our service provision changes further next week as a result of the extreme heat and we urge residents to heed NHS advice by:
- Drinking plenty of fluids and always carrying water when out and about
- Staying out of the sun, where possible, for the whole of Monday and Tuesday, but especially during 11am and 3
- Applying sunscreen and wearing a hat if going out in the heat
- Avoiding physical activity during the hottest parts of the day
- Checking in on the vulnerable, including the elderly and those who live alone