Making a request to view CCTV

You are here

Under data protection law, you have a right to see CCTV pictures if you are the subject.

To make a request to view CCTV you must:

  • Complete the online CCTV Subject Access Request Form.
  • Provide evidence of your identity.  Details of the documents required can be found below.
  • Be clear about the exact time, date and location (within one hour). 

Please note:

  • Footage is only guaranteed to be retained for 31 days.
  • We are unable to release footage which identifies a third party.
  • We are unable to release vehicle registration details.
  • We are unable to release footage to you if the incident is being investigated by the Police.
  • We are unable to release footage to you if you have been the victim of a crime or a crime has been committed, you should report this to the Police. 

What happens next?

On completion of the online form you will receive an email notifying you that the form has been received. If suitable identification documents and a clear description of the incident have been supplied, we will respond to your request within 30 calendar days to let you know if relevant footage has been found.  

Can I get a copy of the recording?

You can only get a copy of the recording if the data protection officer is satisfied that it will not become part of a live criminal investigation, civil proceedings, or complaint and that the proper procedures will be followed. Please be aware that there may be a charge for a permanent copy. 

Damage to Vehicles

We are not able to release or show you footage of damage being caused to your vehicle if it would identify a third party or their vehicle. In this situation, we would recommend that you contact your insurance company or, in more serious cases, the Police who may be able to view any footage we hold as part of their investigation.

Identification documents

To help establish your identity you must supply the following documents:

One of the following:

  • Valid photo driving licence
  • Full valid current passport
  • Recent passport sized photograph

And two of the following:

  • Birth certificate or Adoption certificate
  • Valid driving licence
  • Utility Bill (gas, electricity, water, or telephone) in the applicants name for the last quarter
  • Medical card
  • Bank, Building Society or Credit Card statement in the applicants name for the last quarter
  • Council Tax bill/demand in the applicants name for the last quarter

Please note: at least one document must show your current address and at least one must show your date of birth.  Failure to provide this documentation may delay your application.

Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
Emergency Services Centre,
Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,
Ipswich, IP1 2DE

Telephone icon

01473 433444