Non-violent relationship breakdown housing advice

You are here

Housing rights in a relationship breakdown can be complicated and you may need to seek legal advice.

If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you are living in together.

Find a legal advisor in your area

Where else can I go for housing help and advice?

There are several places you could visit: 

Shelter has produced a guide for people who have experienced a relationship breakdown and what their housing rights are after splitting up.

Shelter can also be contacted by telephone: 0344 515 1944.

Citizens Advice Bureau - for general and legal advice and help. Telephone: 08444 111 444.

Help finding housing in the private rented sector 

You could try to find housing in the private rented sector. The Council’s Housing Options Team will be able to advise you how to find out what housing is available locally and how to apply for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit to help you with your housing costs.

Apply for a council or housing association home

As a longer term alternative option, you could also consider applying for a council home or a housing association home.

Apply for a council or housing association home

Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
Housing Services,
3E Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000