Ipswich BC logo


Permits in residents' parking zones

You are here

If you live permanently in a Residents’ Parking Zone you can buy an annual residents’ permit for your household.*

You can also buy daily permits for your visitors. Businesses in the residents’ zone can also buy residents’ permits.

*Some properties located in the residents' zones are not included in the scheme, for example any new development or property conversion completed since 2005 may not be included. If in doubt please contact Ipswich Parking Services.

To find out if your street is in one of the zones take a look at the map on the Residents' Parking Zones page.

Using your permit

Your permit is only valid in Residents’ Parking Bays for your zone. Some parking bays may have different restrictions, please ensure that you carefully check the signs before parking.

The permit must be clearly displayed in the windscreen of the vehicle.

How to apply for a permit

If you live in Zone 1, 3 or 4 you can buy up to two permits. Zone 2 residents can purchase one permit.

New residents

You must produce a tenancy agreement or solicitor’s letter of completion to obtain a temporary permit. The temporary permit will be issued at the Customer Service Centre. A full permit will be sent once the application has been successfully processed.

Current residents

No documentation is required. A full permit will be sent after the application has been successfully processed.

Download an application form and send to Ipswich Parking Services with the necessary proof and payment (as detailed in the application form):

You can also apply at the Customer Services Centre.

Visitor permits

A current Residents’ Permit must be held in order to purchase visitor permits.

A maximum of 12 booklets can be purchased in any one permit year.

To order a booklet of 5 visitor permits for £5 please telephone or email us.

Businesses located in Residents’ Parking Zones

Businesses in Zones 1, 3 & 4 can purchase up to two permits.

Your application must be accompanied by a business rates bill as proof of address.

To apply for a business permit please contact Ipswich Parking Service or visit the Customer Services Centre.


Permit requiredAnnual Fee
First residents' permit (car or motorcycle)£40
Second residents' car permit (zones 1, 3 and 4 only)£70
Second motorcycle permit (zones 1, 3 and 4 only)£70
First business permit£200
Second business permit (zones 1, 3 & 4 only)£200
Visitor permits (booklet of five 1-day vouchers)£5
1-hour visitor time clockFree with first permit
Replacement for lost/stolen/damaged permit£12.50

Working in residents parking zones

Tradespersons and statutory services needing to visit houses in the residents' parking zones for their work may apply for an exemption permit. For further information and an application form please visit the Tradesperson's permits or Statutory services permits page.

Alternatively, a daily visitor permit purchased by the resident of the property should be displayed in the vehicle.

Moving house

If you move house and are no longer in the same Residents’ Parking Zone you may claim a refund of the period remaining by returning your permit and time clock to Ipswich Parking Services.

An administration fee of £10 will be deducted from the refunded amount.

You may need to park in a restricted area for loading or unloading when moving house. If you are using a removal company they are usually exempt from parking regulations. If you are using your own vehicle or a hire vehicle you may need to apply for a dispensation permit. Occasionally it may be necessary to reserve a parking bay for the removal lorry, in these cases you should apply for a suspension. Please contact us if you require further information.

Blue Badge Holders

Blue Badge holders may park in Residents Permit Bays for an unrestricted amount of time when displaying a valid Blue Badge.  Blue Badge holders are welcome to purchase a Residents Permit if required.  The fee is still applicable.  For further information please do not hesitate to contact us