Ipswich BC logo


Pavement Licensing (Table/Chairs)

You are here

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement in England and Wales you require permission from your Local Authority.

What information/evidence will I need to provide?

In addition to the application form you need to provide the following:

  • A copy of your Public Liability Insurance (minimum cover £5,000,000).
  • A plan showing the exact location and dimensions of the area to be licensed.
  • The location of the furniture within that area.
  • A description of the furniture/barriers to be used.
  • Photographs of the area to be covered by the tables and chairs licence and the
  • surrounding highway.

What are the conditions and cost of the Licence?

Ipswich Borough Council has adopted standard conditions which you can download. These conditions may be subject to alteration or addition, if necessary, for individual applications.

Your application must be advertised at the location for the duration of 28 days. Consultation will also take place with other interested parties e.g. Responsible Authorities. If we received representations the application will be referred to the Licensing Sub-Committee.

There is a fee (per table) which is renewable yearly.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. This means that you are not able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 42 calendar days.

How do I apply?

You will need to complete an application form online, pay the fee and send the relevant information/evidence as above to the licensing team. The information can be scanned and emailed to us.

Contact Details

Licensing and Enforcement,
Ipswich Borough Council,
3W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 433075