Ipswich BC logo


Universal Credit and the rent decrease

Published4th April 2019

If you are a council tenant in receipt of Universal Credit you will need to notify the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) about the 1% decrease in your rent, which came in on 1st April.

You can inform the DWP of this change of circumstances on your online journal but you only have 11 days to do so to avoid overpayment and a possible £50 fine.

Ipswich Borough Council will NOT update this information on your behalf.

How do I do it?

You will receive a notification on your Universal Credit journal at the beginning of April, via your to-do list, reminding you to report the change to your rent.

You will need to provide proof of the change, so keep your notification letter safe and submit this as proof of the change to Universal Credit.

If you have any problems updating your journal with this information, you should contact Universal Credit either via your work coach or by calling 0800 328 5644.