Houses in multiple occupation (shared housing)

You are here

Information on houses in multiple occupation (HMO) and HMO licensing.

Report an unlicensed house in multiple occupation (HMO)

If you suspect a property is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) and is not licensed, or you have any concerns about an HMO, you can report this to us online.

Report it now

The law relating to shared houses or houses in multiple occupation has changed. Since 1st October 2018, landlords of most Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) that house five or more people and not a single household must apply for an HMO licence.
Properties in Ipswich that are currently licensed as Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs)
According to the Housing Act 2004, a House in Multiple Occupation, or HMO, is a building, or part of a building, that is occupied by three or more persons who do not form a single household - in other words, are not family members.
Mandatory HMO licensing applies across England to all houses that are occupied by five or more persons forming more than one household.
The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HM) Regulations 2006 apply to all HMOs.
The fire standards set out in the HMO Fire Standards document are the minimum standards to be achieved and should be used as a guide only.

Popular tasks

Contact Details

Private Sector Housing,
Ipswich Borough Council,
4W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000