Ipswich BC logo


Status message

We are currently streamlining our processes, which means when we collect your rent via Direct Debit it will have a new account reference. This does not change the way in which we collect Direct Debits. If you pay between 16th – 22nd of the month your October payment will be taken later than planned.

Private landlords and tenants

You are here

Know your rights as a privately renting tenant and your responsibilities as a landlord. Also includes information on Houses in multiple occupation (shared housing).

This information gives a brief outline of the different types of tenancy available and the rights you have if you are renting from a private landlord. It does not cover secure Council or Housing Association tenancies.
New regulations require private sector landlords to install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their properties or face a fine of up to £5,000.
Ipswich Lettings Partnership has been developed by Ipswich Borough Council to increase access to good quality homes in the private sector for anyone living in Ipswich faced with losing their existing accommodation.
The Private Sector Housing team offers advice and support to private landlords.
What to do if you believe there are hazards within your home.
If you rent a home you have a basic right to repairs and both you and your landlord have specific responsibilities.
We can sometimes provide grants and assistance for eligible homeowners, landlords and private tenants of properties within the Ipswich borough boundary.
Grants for disabled adaptations are available to help you live more comfortably in your own home by providing the necessary alterations to meet your needs.
If you use land as a caravan/mobile/park home site you will almost always need planning permission and a site licence from the Council.


Contact Details

Private Sector Housing,
Ipswich Borough Council,
4W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 433003