Contents insurance

You are here

If you are a Council tenant it is your responsibility to take out household contents insurance.

Many tenants believe that the Council automatically insures their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes. This is not the case. We are responsible for insuring the building only, and any installations, including the kitchen and bathroom, that have been fitted by us.

Unfortunately some tenants only realise this after the damage has been done.

Insure the contents of your Council home

We have made it easier for you to insure your belongings under a special household contents insurance scheme. The insurance is arranged with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance PLC and is available only to Council tenants. To find out more and complete an application click on the pink button below. Alternatively you can make your own private arrangements for contents insurance.

Find out more and apply

Completed application forms should be emailed to

Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
Housing Services,
3E Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000