Drainage and flooding

You are here

Ipswich Borough Council no longer has a drainage engineering service.

Knowing who is responsible

Anglian Water is responsible for public sewerage and sewage treatment in Ipswich. Most sewers serving at least two properties are now the responsibility of Anglian Water. Most drains under the public highway serving at least one property are also Anglian Water's.

The Environment Agency is responsible for main rivers and tidal flood defences.

Suffolk County Council is responsible for highway drainage, including puddles and blocked highway gullies. To report a flood via the Suffolk County Council website click on the pink button below:

Report it now

Flood risk management

Suffolk County Council is the Lead Local Flood Authority as defined in the Flood and Water Management Act 2010.

Their Suffolk Flood Risk Management Partnership web page includes the Local Flood risk Management Strategy which helps everyone understand and manage flood risk within Suffolk. The web page also provides guidance for developers on sustainable drainage and a protocol which explains Suffolk County Council's role as a statutory consultee in the planning process regarding surface water drainage and local flooding related to major development proposals .

Drainage Related Documents

Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
Planning Policy,
3W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432019