Getting professional building advice

You are here

Unless you have a reasonable working knowledge of building construction it is advisable, before any work begins, to obtain professional advice from one or more of the following:

  • Architect;
  • Structural engineer;
  • Building surveyor;
  • Heating engineer;
  • Replacement window specialist.

It is also recommended that you choose a registered builder or a registered installer to carry out any work.

Simple checks you should consider before choosing a builder include:

  • Recommendations;
  • Contract;
  • Insurance warranty;
  • Examples of work.

Choosing tradespeople from a directory such as Checkatrade will help you avoid rogue traders. Checkatrade is a directory of local tradespeople who have been checked by Suffolk County Council Trading Standards and made a commitment to treat their customers fairly.


If a dispute arises concerning your building work, we suggest you contact Suffolk County Council's Trading Standards

They can advise you if you are unhappy about:

  • The costs of the work;
  • The time it is taking;
  • The standard of the work;
  • The materials being used;
  • Whether the work has been approved by Building Control officers.

The Citizens Advice consumer service may be able to offer further help and advice.

Contact Details

Building Control,
Ipswich Borough Council,
3W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000

Monday to Friday 08:30 - 17:00

Telephone icon

01473 433444

After 17:00 and weekends (for out of hours emergencies only)