Dangerous wild animals

You are here

Dangerous Wild Animals Licences are issued under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. The provisions of this act do not apply to zoos, premises licenced to sell animals as pets, or to establishments registered for carrying out animal experiments. There is a schedule attached to the act which states what animals fall within the term 'dangerous wild animal'. 

To determine suitability Ipswich Borough Council will inspect the premises and will authorise a competent person or vet to assist this inspection. The cost of this will be in addition to the licence fee and will depend on the time required and competence and expertise required of the authorised person. The liability for this additional cost must be accepted at the point of application and is payable upfront at the point of application, regardless of whether a licence is ultimately issued.

Aspects considered in respect of issuing a licence include:

  • the accommodation, which should be secure and suitable in respect of its construction, size, temperature, lighting, ventilation, draining and cleanliness.
  • the suitability of applicant, including their competence at looking after the dangerous wild animal.
  • the animal, which should be supplied with adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding material and must be visited at suitable intervals.
  • and the presence of emergency provisions, in case of fire or in cases of infectious disease.

To apply for a licence we encourage you to contact our licensing team in advance for an application form and to get an understanding of the probable costs above the £242 licence fee. Contact Licensing@ipswich.gov.uk

Once granted, a licence is valid for two years

Contact Details

Licensing and Enforcement,
Ipswich Borough Council,
3W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

See each web page