Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Landlords

You are here

Under the Energy Act 2016 landlords must have the following to rent out a property;

  • An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and provide a copy to the tenant. A copy of the EPC certificate must be provided by landlords to all assured shorthold tenants at the property whose tenancies began on or after 1st October 2015.
  • Ensure all rented homes have at least an E rating on the EPC:
  • A tenant can request energy efficiency measures and landlords may not unreasonably refuse consent.

From 1 April 2018 – all tenancies starting new or renewing after this date MUST have at least an E-rating on the property's EPC by law. This includes renewal or extension of an existing assured tenancy, including a shorthold, by agreement with the tenant. This can be done when you grant a fresh tenancy to the same tenant or simply agree with the tenant that the existing tenancy will be extended. A landlord will no longer be able to rent out a property with a rating of F or G and the local authority may proceed with issuing a penalty.

From 1 April 2020 – all other privately rented homes (i.e. those on continued leases) MUST have at least an E-rating on the EPC to be lawfully let out.

It is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure they meet these requirements and have an EPC rated E+ as evidence that their property is legal to rent out (unless the property is exempt, see below).

Energy Performance Certificate

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold, or rented. They contain information about the property’s energy use and typical energy costs, and how to reduce these.


Exemptions from the Energy Act 2016 requirements include:

  • Buildings that do not need an EPC can be found at

  • Properties on the Government's Exemptions Register

Listed Buildings may be exempt if the necessary work to achieve an E+ rating would unacceptably alter the building’s character and appearance.

In order to know what energy efficiency improvement work would be necessary will likely necessitate getting an EPC. To understand the requirements and the historical significance of the property, landlords of listed buildings and/or properties in conservation areas are advised to consult with the planning section of the council.

All properties will need to meet the Government's requirements in order to be added to the Exemptions Register and must be on the register (or meet the E+ rating) to be legally let to new tenants from April 2018.

Information for landlords and tenants- East Suffolk Council.