Ipswich BC logo


Pollution, noise and nuisance

You are here

Find out how we monitor and control air, noise and land pollution, including how you can report issues.

How to complain about a noise nuisance and the subsequent action we will take.
The noise from a barking dog can be classed as a statutory nuisance, which means the Council can decide to serve a noise abatement notice.
We understand that people have the right to hold parties and to enjoy themselves in their own property. However, people do not have the right to unreasonably interfere with the use and enjoyment of neighbouring properties.
Commercial and industrial premises have a legal defence known as 'Best Practicable Means' which says that it may not always be possible to stop a noise completely. However, it is possible to seek to keep it to an acceptable level.
Since most people have to carry out DIY at times when they are not at work, they may need to do work such as redecorating or putting up shelves round the house in the evenings or at weekends.
Construction noise covers noise created on building and demolition sites, and also from roadworks.
Noise from licensed premises is a common cause for complaint, especially during warm weather.
Allowing your house or car alarm to sound for a long period of time or on a frequent basis could constitute a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Noise from domestic entertainment such as stereos, radios and televisions can annoy, cause stress and generally affect the quality of life in a residential area. It is the biggest cause of complaints between neighbours.
How to manage problems with dust, odours and smoke


Contact Details

Environmental Health,
Ipswich Borough Council,
3W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 433115