We need to know as soon as possible about any changes in your circumstances.
Examples of changes you must report:
- If someone moves in or out;
- If your income changes;
- If the amount of your savings changes;
- If your rent changes;
- If you qualify for another benefit;
- If you stop getting Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance;
- If anyone living in your home has a change of circumstances
Please note, this is not a full list. If you are not sure whether to tell us something or not, please ask. It is important that we know any changes immediately as any delay in telling us could seriously affect the amount of help you receive:
- Changes that could reduce your housing benefit/council tax reduction:
If you delay or fail to tell us about a change, you will have to repay any money you received that you were not entitled to.
- Changes that could increase your housing benefit/council tax reduction:
Any change that may mean you can get an increase in entitlement will usually only start from the date that you tell us, and not the date the change actually happened.
What to send us
The law says that you must tell us about any change of circumstance immediately. We also need the changes in writing, a phone call is not enough.
You must also provide proof of any changes, such as:
- a letter from your landlord telling you of a change in your rent or a new tenancy agreement;
- your latest payslips or pension slips to show the new amount you get as wages, pension or pension credit;
- a letter from the DWP (Department for Works and Pensions) or HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) showing changes in your allowances or tax credits;
- a letter from the DWP showing changes in your benefits.
We will also need the same sort of proof of changes for other people who live with you.
If you cannot provide proof immediately you should report the change/s and any documents you do have now, and then provide any other documents as soon as you can.
If you are unable to upload your evidence online you can provide your proofs either by post or at the Customer Services Centre.