Benefit/Reduction information for students

You are here

If you are a full-time student, you may qualify for help with your rent.

This is if you fall into one of these categories:

  • you receive Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance or Employment & Support Allowance (Income related)
  • students who count as part-time
  • students under 21 not in higher education (the course must have started before you turned 19)
  • students under 20 on non-advanced course of full-time education - or approved training which started/you enrolled on before you turned 19
  • students who are pension age
  • students who qualify for a disability or severe disability premium
  • lone parent
  • student couples with dependent children
  • you are solely responsible for a child aged under 19 and following a course of further education


Council Tax exemptions:

  • If you are a full-time student, you may be exempt from council tax, even if you would otherwise be liable to pay it;
  • If you are a full-time student and you live in a property with somebody else who is solely liable for council tax, they can claim a 25% reduction in the tax.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction:

Students can claim housing benefit and council tax reduction if they fall into one of the categories listed below:

  • Receiving Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income-related Employment Support Allowance;
  • Part-time;
  • Under 21 and on a course up to A-level standard;
  • Aged 60 or over;
  • Responsible for a child or young person (i.e. receiving Child Benefit);
  • Responsible for a foster child;
  • Responsible for children boarded with a local authority or voluntary organisation;
  • Receiving certain disability benefits;
  • Receiving a grant assessment allowance for deafness, even if you only get grant fees.

Partners of students, who are not students themselves, are eligible to claim Housing Benefit on behalf of the couple.

Overseas students

If you are from abroad, you should ask us about possible help with rent and council tax payments. There is no automatic right to benefits for overseas students - it depends on your particular circumstances.

How to apply

We will need information about the student's income, where they study and the course dates.

Find out more about how to apply for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction on the Make a claim page.

To apply for a student discount or exemption, download the Council Tax Student Discount application

Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
Housing Services,
3E Grafton House, 
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000