Applying for planning permission

You are here

Do I need planning permission?

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights". The Planning Portal website has a useful interactive guide which will help you decide whether or not you need planning permission.

If you are still in doubt please seek advice by emailing: or writing to the address on the left of this page. 

Council tenants must obtain advance written permission from Tenancy Services, as the Landlord, to alter or develop their Council property prior to submitting a planning application. Improvements must not be carried out without this consent. This includes outbuildings, sheds and other structures in the garden. Find out more about obtaining advance permission as a Council tenant.

Apply for planning permission online

You can apply for planning permission via the Planning Portal website - simply click on the button below.

Apply now

Download an application form

You can download an application form via the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities website - simply click the button below.


Please be advise that on Monday 12 February 2024 the statutory framework of biodiversity net gain (BNG) commenced and became mandatory for new major developments. Although BNG has only become mandatory for major developments, applicants should be aware that commencement of BNG will change how applications for planning permission more generally are processed in the system. These new requirements are provided for within the updated application forms avaliable via the Planning Portal website or Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities website. You must submit an updated application form for your application to be validated. 

Household application notice and notices 1 and 2

A notice must be completed and served to all owners of the application site (in accordance with Article 6 of the General Development Procedure Order). Site owners are defined as freeholders or leaseholders with at least seven years of the leasehold left unexpired.

If you are submitting a household application in England you need to use the Household Development Notice. For all other applications, Notice 1 is to be printed and served to owners if Certificate B or C is completed. Where the owner is unknown the Notice to Unknown Owners, Notice 2, is for publication in a local newspaper if Certificate C or D is completed.

You can download a notice via the Planning Portal website - simply click on the button below. 


Ancillary documents