Universal Credit

You are here

Universal Credit (UC) is a new, single payment for working age people who are looking for work or are on a low income.

UC replaces:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit

Work and Universal Credit 

With UC, there is no limit to the hours that you can work. Your UC payment will reduce gradually, as your own earnings increase. This means you won't lose all your benefits at once if you are on a low income.

jobhelp from Jobcentre Plus provides help and advice on applying for jobs. It offers practical help on creating a CV and includes advice from employers and recruiters.

Where can I get more information about Universal Credit and what it means for me? 

  • Read the Money Advice Service's guide to UC
  • Access the 'Looking Local' channel on Sky channel 539 and then press the red button
  • Access the 'Looking Local' channel on Virgin channel 233 and then press the red button, or Home > Interactive > Sports, news and info > Looking Local
  • Access 'Looking Local' from your internet capable games console
  • Access 'Looking Local' on Facebook

Universal Credit information for landlords

The Department for Work and Pensions has created 2 guides to help landlords understand how UC affects them and the safeguards in place:

Money Advice Service, what you need to know if a tenant is claiming UC

Visit the Universal Credit website

Council Tax Reduction Scheme 

To find out if you can get help with paying Council Tax, visit our Make a claim webpage. Use the online calculator to see if you qualify.

Popular tasks

Contact Details

Universal Credit
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AJ

Telephone icon

0800 328 9344

Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm