Housing standards and enforcement - advice for landlords

You are here

The Private Sector Housing team offers advice and support to private landlords.

Please choose from the options below or contact us using the contact details on the right hand side of this page.

Landlords who fail to comply with the regulations may be subject to a Rent Repayment Order. For more information click here

Civil Penalty Notices

Since 6 April 2017, local housing authorities have had the power to impose Civil Penalties of up to £30,000 on individuals and organisations, as an alternative to prosecution, for certain offences under the Act. Read the Civil Penalties policy.

Banning Orders

The Housing and Planning Act 2016 enables local authorities to apply to the First-tier Tribunal (FtT) to impose a banning order on a landlord or managing agent, following conviction for a ‘banning order offence’. Read the Banning Order policy.

Gas Safety

All privately rented properties have to obtain a gas safety certificate for appliances on a yearly basis. Please visit Gas Safe Register for further information.

Electrical safety standards in the private rented sector: guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities

The Electrical safety standards require that landlords have property electrics checked at least every 5 years by a properly qualified person. The electrics must meet standards and landlords must give their tenants proof of this. Please click here for further information and requirements

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (Amendment) Regulations 2022 will come into force on 1 October 2022. From that date, all relevant landlords must:

1. Ensure at least one smoke alarm is equipped on each storey of their homes where there is a room used as living accommodation. This has been a legal requirement in the private rented sector since 2015.

2. Ensure a carbon monoxide alarm is equipped in any room used as living accommodation which contains a fixed combustion appliance (excluding gas cookers).

3. Ensure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are repaired or replaced once informed and found that they are faulty.

The requirements are enforced by local authorities who can impose a fine of up to £5,000 where a landlord fails to comply with a remedial notice.

Houses in multiple occupancy

Information and advice can be found on the Houses in multiple occupation (shared housing) section.

Landlords associations

Association of Rental Lettings Agents
Eastern Landlords Association

Responsibilities of landlord and tenant

Visiting the Repairing Rights page for details of landlord's and tenant's responsibilities.

Information given to tenants

The Private Sector Housing team also offers help to private tenants who are living in properties that do not meet current housing standards. A checklist of hazards , based on the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) and a template letter have been produced to help tenants submit any issues to the responsible person.