Second adult rebate

You are here

Second Adult Rebate is only available to those of Pension Age.

It may help with your Council Tax bill, if you have lost the single person discount due to the presence of another adult in your household who is not your partner.

Can you claim a Second Adult Rebate?

If other people who share your home are:

  • aged over 18
  • not your partner
  • not paying you rent as a boarder or sub tenant
  • not liable to pay Council Tax themselves
  • not a joint owner

then you are eligible to claim Second Adult Rebate

  • Second Adult Rebate is based on the circumstances and income of people who share your home.
  • Your income and savings are not taken into account when calculating Second Adult Rebate.
  • If you are entitled to Council Tax Reduction, and Second Adult Rebate, we will pay the one which gives you the most money. This is called a betterbuy calculation.

How much will you get?

After the weekly income of the second adult has been calculated, you may receive either a 25%, 15% or a 7½% reduction off your Council Tax bill.

How do you claim?

  • To claim a Second Adult Rebate you will need to complete an application form and provide proof of the second adult's income. You can complete an online claim form on our Make a claim page.
  • Your claim will normally start on the Monday following the date your application form is received by the Council, although there are exceptions depending on the reasons why you could not claim earlier.

Application forms that are not fully completed could delay your claim.

To report a change in your circumstances, please refer to this page on our website for how to achieve this: Change in circumstances | Ipswich Borough Council

Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
1E Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000