Pre-application advice

You are here

All the information you need to know before applying for a building regulation application.

You need to apply for Building Regulation Approval whenever you intend to carry out building work.
If you are planning to carry out work on a building, there are a number of different areas to consider before you begin.
Not all buildings and extensions need Building Regulation consent before being erected.
Unless you have a reasonable working knowledge of building construction it is advisable, before any work begins, to obtain professional advice.
Building Regulations and Town and Country Planning are completely separate and you may need to make two applications, including paying two separate fees.
A Building Control surveyor will inform your builder of any contravention of the Regulations.
Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) were introduced in October 2008 to help improve the energy efficiency of buildings. If you are building, selling or renting a home you need an EPC by law.
The installation of replacement windows is now included as 'building work' and requires a Building Notice to be submitted, prior to work commencing.
If you are planning an extension to your property or would like to construct a new building, you will need to check the location of the public sewers.
The LABC is the member organisation representing local authority building control departments in England and Wales. Developers using local authority building control services can be eligible to receive warranties for their work through the LABC.


Contact Details

Building Control,
Ipswich Borough Council,
3W Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000

Monday to Friday 08:30 - 17:00

Telephone icon

01473 433444

After 17:00 and weekends (for out of hours emergencies only)