Anti-social behaviour: advice for council tenants

You are here

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is a broad term used to describe day-to-day incidents of crime, nuisance and disorder that intimidates, causes distress or makes someone's life a misery - from littering and vandalism to public drunkenness and noisy or abusive neighbours.

Tackling ASB is a high priority for our Housing team. That's why we recently updated our ASB policy for Council tenants and leaseholders. This policy, approved in June 2021, outlines how we will tackle ASB within Council housing through early intervention, support and enforcement.

View the Anti-Social Behaviour Council Housing Tenants policy.

Ipswich Borough Council's Tenancy Agreement

Our Tenancy Agreement sets out the way we expect our tenants to behave and, in more serious cases, can provide the means for us to take legal action.

The Agreement details our expectations, in particular that:

  • all council tenants must take responsibility for the behaviour of anyone living in their home, or visiting their home or neighbourhood;
  • tenants and their visitors must not behave in a way that causes, or is likely to cause, nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to anyone else;
  • tenants must not make any unreasonable noise which will cause nuisance for their neighbours or anyone living in the vicinity;
  • tenants must not use their home for criminal or unlawful activity;
  • tenants must not harass others, for example on the grounds of race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation or disability.

Are you looking for advice about any of the following?

How to approach your neighbour

There are ten tips for speaking to your neighbour, read the advice here

Was this information helpful?  If you would like to discuss you issue further please access or create an Online Housing account at Housing Online: My Account | Ipswich Borough Council or contact your Housing Officer directly.

Find out more about community safety at Community Safety Partnership | Ipswich Borough Council email or call our Customer Services team on 01473 432000 to discuss an issue.

Reporting anti-social behaviour 

If you are experiencing ASB and wish to report this to us online, first read more about how and when to report ASB.

Reporting a noise nuisance

If you are experiencing a persistent and unreasonable noise nuisance you can report it to us online. Read more about how and when to report noise nuisance.

Managing anti-social behaviour Council Housing Tenants & Leaseholders

Summary Document ASB Housing Procedure Final

ASB Procedure July 2022

Anti social behaviour policy