Council tenants

You are here

Advice and information for people living in council-owned housing.

This is the current Tenancy Agreement /conditions of tenancy for Council Tenants. It should be read in conjunction with the Tenants’ Handbook

The Tenancy Agreement is also available in BengaliLithuanian, Polish and Portuguese.

Council tenants must obtain advance written permission from Tenancy Services, as the Landlord, to alter or develop their Council property prior to submitting a planning application. Improvements must not be carried out without this consent. This includes outbuildings, sheds and other structures in the garden. Find out more about obtaining advance permission as a Council tenant.

The Council holds personal information about you in connection with your tenancy. It is necessary for us to hold personal information about you, such as your contact details, to administer our responsibilities as your landlord. Read the Privacy Notice for full details about how your information is used and stored.

You can access your IBC tenancy and manage your rent account online with the Housing Online, My Account portal.
We believe that by working together with tenants we can provide the best possible housing service. This page offers options for getting involved in our Customer Engagement Panel
Choice based lettings is a new way of allocating social housing.
This policy sets out the approach Ipswich Borough Council will take to move tenants from its housing stock in the case of a remodel, disposal, demolition, in order for work to be carried out to their property and where it is not safe or possible for the tenant to remain while work is carried out. Or where the property is damaged in an emergency such as fire or flood.
The Council is committed to making sure that disabled tenants and leaseholders are not disadvantaged when getting access to or using our services. For this reason we will make ‘reasonable adjustments’ for people.
Paying your regular council bills such as Council Tax, Rent and Business Rates by Direct Debit will save you time and make life easier. You can even pay some regular invoices by Direct Debit too.
Information on your rights as a Council Tenant.
The law gives council and housing association tenants the right to do a mutual exchange. Tenants must have their landlord's permission and be eligible to exchange.
If you are an Ipswich Borough Council tenant your rent is due each Monday. However, you are able to pay weekly; fortnightly, 4 weekly or monthly. If you do wish to pay monthly please contact your Housing Officer so they can calculate your payments. Please note that all rent payments must be paid in advance.
Staff at the Customer Contact Centre are trained to give advice on housing-related matters and you should contact them in the first instance.


Contact Details

Ipswich Borough Council,
Housing Services,
4C Grafton House,
15-17 Russell Road,

Telephone icon

01473 432000